Resident Art & Writing Program
"The artist is not a special kind of person;
rather each person is a special kind of artist."
Thank you to our Art & Writing Sponsor:
Be a Part of the LeadingAge Ohio
2021 Virtual Art & Writing Show
While an in-person art and writing show is not possible this year, LeadingAge Ohio would like to showcase the talent of our members' residents/clients in 2021, as well as take the opportunity to share the stories behind their creativity. This year’s Art & Writing Show will be held virtually through the Gather Voices platform, with submissions highlighted on the LeadingAge Ohio website.
Residents/clients can submit on their own, or work with family, friends, Activity Directors or other staff to submit their works.
There are two easy steps to submit:
- The resident/client or helper should email a picture (jpg) of the art piece or writing work file. Be sure to include resident's/client’s full name, community, email (or the email of the helper), and title of the piece to Bobbi Dolan at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Follow the link below and follow the prompts to create (or help the resident/client create) a short video that describes the inspiration and story behind the creation.
The video can be very simple. It takes about 5-10 minutes to create and submit the video, and works on any smartphone or laptop with a camera. The link will walk the resident/client or helper through the recording steps. If needed, multiple takes are an option.
Video submissions are due by Monday, October 4, 2021. Videos will be shared on the LeadingAge Ohio Art & Writing portion of the website. Early submissions (before July 23) may be shared at the LeadingAge Ohio Annual Conference and Trade Show from August 4-6 at the Hilton Columbus at Easton.
If you have any questions contact Bobbi Dolan at email@example.com. We look forward to seeing your videos!
CRITERIA FOR SUBMISSION
Art piece or written work needs to have been created in the past year/during pandemic (2020-2021)
Cooperative art accepted
Limit one submission per person or cooperative group
Written works must be double- spaced typing, maximum of six (6) pages, font size of 10 or larger, pages numbered
Artist/Author must be/or have been a LeadingAge Ohio members' resident/client
Some examples of artist submissions include:
- Written works: Fictional prose, such as a short story or essay; non-fiction prose, such as an essay, issue or brief based on true events or biographies; and poetry.
- Fine Art: Painting and pastels; drawings, charcoal, pencil, calligraphy, etc.; 3D works of any material including clay, metal, stained glass; woodworking and carving; photography; computer art.
- Fiber/Jewelry Art: Needle arts, such as counted cross stitch, needlepoint, embroidery; wearable art, such as jackets, sweaters, dresses, hats, doll clothes, gowns, etc.; woven arts, such as knitting, tatting, crochet, and weaving; quilted works, including bed covers and decorative wall hangings, clothing, pillows; and jewelry.
- Cooperative Art: Works created by groups of 2 or more individuals, such as craft or quilting groups.
- Special Art: Works created by individuals or groups with cognitive challenges, from any category. Artists may receive assistance or use a kit.
Visit the LeadingAge Ohio Flickr page to view some past Art & Writing submissions.
To learn more about the LeadingAge Ohio Art & Writing program, contact:
LeadingAge Ohio Statewide Coordinator
LeadingAge Ohio Art & Writing Contact
Recognition & Awards
Kathryn Brod, MBA
- Is the association's primary spokesperson
- Oversees staff and daily operations
- Promotes LeadingAge Ohio's position and public policy goals to elected officials; staff liaison to Advocacy Committee
- Responsible for implementing LeadingAge Ohio's strategic direction
- Works with LeadingAge Ohio Board of Directors
- Staff liaison to Human Resources Committee
Director of Strategic Communications
- Serves as lead member communications and media strategist for key association initiatives
- Oversees digital strategy, including websites, newsletters and social media channels
- Provides strategic direction for communicating organizational goals and achievements to members, partners, policy makers and the media
- Serves as primary contact for media inquiries
- Staff liaison to Communications/PR committee